Friday, May 15, 2009

My Achilles heel (one of them!)

After I poked so much fun at my husband in the supermarket, it's only fair to make fun of myself. One of my Achilles heel (and it seems I have a few of them) is ironing (or not ironing, in this case). . I absolutely hate to iron - I don't iron anything!

Last year I bought a shirt - you know those sales where you buy two items and get two free - so I bought a shirt that had to be ironed. Where was my head when I bought it? I wore the shirt once, and it's been lying in my closet ever since. It's a beautiful shirt, but obviously, for me, it's not enough to take it out and iron it. A true story, I swear!

I grew up in a house where my mother would take the laundry, sprinkle it with a little bottle that had holes on the top, (see example below), then she would roll all the laundry in a ball and put it in the refrigerator. Then, when she would do the ironing she would re-wet the laundry and then iron it. I have nightmares of opening the fridge and finding clothes falling out instead of food! (I'm not making this up either!).


Once my sister-in-law came to visit from abroad. I came home and found that she even irons underpants (knickers to you Brits!)! Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that people ironed underwear! Well as I found out, they do.

And since I love ironing so much, I can't find an outlet where I can plug the iron in and the cord of the iron will be long enough so I can open the ironing board and be able to stand the iron on it, and still have place to stand up - therefore I have to use an extension cord. By the time I've finished setting everything up, I say the hell with it all, put the ironing away for good and only buy clothes that don't need ironing - especially sheets!

As far as I can tell, hating ironing must be genetic - my mother hated it, I hate it, and none of my children iron their clothes as far as I know! Therefore, I've found the perfect solution (for me) - this is what I'll wear to work!!! Look Ma - no ironing!


6 comments:

  1. Iam the "Iron-Man" in the house...you know what great ideas cross my mind while ironing?! you shoul try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you're talking about...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate ironing too mum i found the perfect solution, just make your kids do it...lol or give them to your mum... lol
    Lv Ya xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. הי אליסה ,
    גם אני לא סובלת גיהוץ ומשתדלת להימנע מכך . חוץ מזה אפשר לקחת את הכביסה לגיהוץ במיכבסה ... זה עולה קצת - אבל לא נורא ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like ironing either. There is always more in the morning, I think it breeds in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm lucky, my husband irons.

    ReplyDelete